Thursday, December 28, 2006

Christmas Time

Well it seems that the time of year, Christmas, has just passed. If you notice, I haven't been doing anything with the blog because I've been too busy. Not because of work, mind you, but I actually closed the bar for a few days.

What have I been doing? Well, Christmas eve I went to church for mass. Then went back to my sisters place for some grub. Later we went to my brother in law's(sis husband) mother's home. She also happens to be my godmother. I've been going there for the last 27 years actually. We normally get there after they finish the midnight mass. Eventually everyone gathers and there will be some exchange of presents. Lot's of food and drink and we end up going home by 4am. This is normal and a bit of a tradition for us.

Following day I went to his brother's house for lunch. They were all there as well. I didn't get to see his home previously as he got married last year but was staying at his mom's home till then so it was a nice treat for me. Also met up with a few people that I hadn't seen in a while. Did give them a few business cards for my bar. Hope that helps me later.

Next night we ended up in my sisters place. She had already planed this party on boxing day so that she would have enough time to prepare everything to eat and drink. As usual, I ended up being the bartender for the night. For the first time, they got the church guys to bring down the band equipment. It was set up in the living room and after the main guys had their meal they started playing. The food, by the way, was great. We had turkey, ham, stuffing, black pepper beef, baked cauliflower, stir fried vegetables and lots more. There was also some nice deserts, cakes and fruits. Best of all was the people and enough booze to go around for a great party.

We took turns to sing. There were a lot of carols but a lot of other music as well. Mostly those great oldies which ranged from the Bee Gees, Beatles, Elvis and lots more. We all had such a good time in spite of the rain that came down all night. The house was full of people. I finally got to give everyone their presents. I could see they were happy about what they got, especially the ladies, as I got them all jewelry items this year. Thank goodness my internet cash has come in handy. The IMA has pulled in good cash for me. Anyway the worst part about all this was me waiting for Brenda to call me. Why?

I sent her a Christmas present by mail. I even paid for LUM( Local urgent mail) service so it would get to her before Christmas. She only contacted me the next day at about 1am. I guess this was because she finally opened her present and saw that I sent her diamond earnings. The thing is, she messaged me instead of calling. Although she wrote that the present was too expensive but she liked it, she could have at least picked up the phone. I told myself that I was going to 'test' her anyway but I will say that I was disappointed. I have yet to conclude on this matter.

Bar advice. Sometimes the company of family, friends and loved ones are more important during Christmas. Those of us that are alone and sad should reflect on this. It's not the presents but the presence of others that brings joy into our hearts.

No comments: